Hertford Town Council provides a diverse range of local services for residents in Hertford, Bengeo and Hertingfordbury village.
There are three tiers of local government that provide services in Hertford: Hertford Town Council, East Herts District Council
and Hertfordshire County Council
The Town Council is the first tier of local government, designed to be the voice of the people. Town Councils only have limited power, but work with other authorities to address problems and provide services.
The Town Council provides and maintains:
Allotments to rent at six sites in the town
- Hertford Cemetery and maintains the closed churchyards
- The Town & Tourist Information Centre
- Regular public Events at the Castle throughout the year at The Castle and in the Castle Grounds
- Funding for Hertford Museum
- Rooms and halls to hire for local groups and individuals
- An excellent venue for weddings, christenings and special celebrations at The Castle
- Public amenities around the town such as the skatepark, clocks, a small public garden and CCTV
- Community Grants Details for local organisations can be found here
- Financing and/or organisation of projects to make the town a safer and better place to live and work e.g. CCTV, providing litter bins and benches.
- Monitoring town planning applications
- Promotion of Hertford's economic development
- Liaison with other authorities to ensure the views of Hertford residents are raised
- Representation to Health, Police and Council bodies on behalf of Hertford
On this website you will find further details on Council Meetings for 2010/11
and contact details for Town Councillors